Raymond Davis Scholarship (Updated 2/12/14!)
The Third Episcopal District Lay Organization awards scholarships to deserving young men and women to assist them in obtaining a college education. The scholarships are designated for those students planning to attend or currently enrolled at any accredited institution of higher learning. Two of the scholarships are designated for students planning to attend or are currently enrolled at Wilberforce University.
The Third Episcopal District Lay Organization would like to take this opportunity to say “THANK YOU” for your support – past, present and future, as we continue the tradition of honoring the memory of lay stalwart, Raymond R. Davis, through this forum, because he strongly believed in the continuing education of our youth.
Your help has allowed us to award over $55,000 in scholarships to deserving young people. Our goal continues to be the strengthening of ties between the clergy and laity as we work together to uplift and assist our youth in their endeavors. Your support and presence tonight reinforces the African Proverb that it takes a village to raise a child.
We congratulate all applicants and finalists and wish you well in your pursuit of academic excellence. Be the Change that you wish to see in the world!
“You Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens You”
“I Have Faith Like Fire in My Bones!”
- A member of The African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s program at an accredited college or university with plans to continue in the Fall of 2014 or
- Currently a high school senior with plans to enroll at an accredited college or university in the Fall of 2014
- Official application with signature of the Local Lay President and Local Pastor
- A current high school or college transcript with the official seal
- Six (6) copies of a letter of recommendation from someone familiar with the student’s academic performance (teacher, principal, professor, academic advisor)
- Six (6) copies of an 800 to 1000 word typed double spaced essay that speaks to the theme:
“I Have Faith Like Fire in My Bones!” (please do not put your name anywhere on your essay)
- Each essay will be assigned a control number prior to submission for judging
- One (1) professional photograph, 3 x 5 preferred size of the applicant only (may be sent electronically).
- ALL REQUIRED MATERIALS: application, letter of recommendation , typed essay, and photograph must be submitted in the same envelope and mailed to:
Dr. Lenora Brogdon-Wyatt
1113 West Second Street
Xenia, Ohio 45385
Telephone: (937) 554-7585
- Materials must be e-mailed or postmarked on or before February 15, 2014
CLICK HERE to Download the full 2014 Raymond Davis Scholarship Application here.